The Church

 

 

Built on the foundations of a twelfth-century church, the church of Eze Village a neo-classical eighteenth century building, is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption.
The building has been classified as historical monuments in December 5th, 1984.

The church was rebuilt, replacing the previous one which was in ruins, between 1764 and 1778 by the Italian architect Antoine Spinelli, because of Duke Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy wish. It was consecrated in 1772.

The tower, built in the nineteenth century, square, two-story, was repeatedly struck by lightning which has removed the original dome. Inside, there is a single nave with rhythmic side chapels separated by the choir by a triumphal arch characteristic of the Baroque's art. True and false windows, true and false pulpits contrasts made by trompe-l'oeil sets typical of Baroque art.

Each chapel is dedicated to a saint or a function: the prayers for the dead, the Virgin, the holy healers - including Saint Grat protector of crops and St. Francis of Assisi protector of animals.
These saints represented on primed canvases, framed stucco and faux marble reveal concerns Ezasques the Enlightenment.

In April 3, 2013 was launched the subscription for the restoration of the church of Eze Village in partnership with the Heritage Foundation.

Click here to access the page from the website of the Heritage Foundation

Download the leaflet

 

 

Bibliography :

Foussard (D.), Barbier (G.), Baroque niçois et monégasque, Paris, édition Picard, 1988, 318p. (pp 266-269).