Ce site utilise des cookies. En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous en acceptez l'utilisation.

The upper Corniche


UK Grande Corniche

La grande Corniche

Justice Tableland

The walkers of all ages and levels will find on this tablelanda sylvester sports path 1400 m,

where in the past rised the gallows of the Lords of Eze.

The Oppidum esplanade and Bastide hill

On this exceptional place, a panorama on the coast and also on the Paillon in Nice.

> Read more:

The fortification system of La Revère and La Drète

Les fortsPeople measured very early the strategic interest of the Grande Corniche. As early as the Iron Age, the first inhabitants get together in the castellara in Mont Bastide, at 567m high. They stayed untill the VIst century. Very later, in the XVIIIth century, during the succession war of Austria in 1744, Austro-sardes (nowadays Piedmontese) erected an entrenched camp in the Simboula to repel the franco-spanish armies. Then in the XIXth century, the whole area was fortified between Var and Italy.In the park of the Grande Corniche, two fortresses were built : La Drète (1878 - 1883) and La Revère (1879 - 1885). Both belongs to a defensive line, the ancestor of Maginot Line : the Séré de Rivières ' system.

This name comes from the general Raymond Séré de Rivières.

This graduate of the Ecole polytechnique was born in Albi in 1818, and was very early spotted for its competence in the fortification subject.

> Read more:

UK Mont Bastide

Local people ( Ligurian then Celto-ligurian people according to Greek and Latin, after having merged with Celts from North-East) are designed like rough, brave and good warriors in the

first century according to Diodore of Sicilia and Strabon. From the VIst century BC erected

they different four-cornered and circular structures made of big blocks : the "Castellaras".

The region counts several castellaras, but the one of Mont Bastide in the Grande Corniche

is one of the most preserved and famous because the different excavation' campaigns since the XIXth c., notably in the 50's with the commandant Octobon and then with Pascal Arnaud, history and archeology professor on roman time in the faculty of Nice, who had devoted several campaigns from 1998 to 2001.